Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"The Conversation" Blog #2

The painting “The Conversation” is done by Alexis Rockman and is an Oil and Acrylic on wood, which is 72 x 84 inches. I couldn’t tell you why, but for some reason when I first laid eyes on this painting it caught my eye. I wouldn’t say this is my favorite painting ever but it is very interesting and can be interpreted however you want, which leads me into the denotations and connotations of this piece. When I look at it, I see a dark almost blood red inside a tent with shadows of a man with a gun a monkey in an awkward position. It makes me think, maybe he’s going to kill the monkey, and maybe he won’t. Maybe he already has and that is why there are so many mosquitoes around the tent. The way the artist made this, she is definitely trying to see how you react to it and use your imagination. 

1 comment:

  1. I think this is an interesting interpretation Jeff. Most of the big ideas in Rockman's work have to do with environmentalism in some way, so it may be interesting for you look back at that painting through that lens.

    ReplyDelete